Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Talk about putting your foot in your mouth

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talk about putting your foot in your mouth

    Virginia state senator's 'Deliverance' comment riles gun-rights supporters

    Friday, Jan 25, 2008 - 01:34 AM

    BY Debra McCown
    Send e-mail

    Bristol Herald Courier


    Email to a Friend Printer Friendly

    A Bristol Virginia man sparked a statewide political reaction after he said he heard the state Senate's majority leader insult rural gun owners while standing in a public elevator.

    "He turns to his companion and says, "?You can tell we're debating a gun bill today. Half the cast of "Deliverance" is in town,' " said John Pierce, a local gun-rights activist who was in Richmond to lobby the General Assembly against a bill to close the so-called gun-show loophole.

    "I was absolutely floored. ... I think what you're seeing is bigotry aimed at rural voters and the issues that they tend to support," Pierce said.

    "Deliverance" is a 1972 film based on the novel by James Dickey in which Atlanta businessmen encountered a backwoods Appalachian culture on a canoe trip in the north Georgia mountains, where rape and murder ensue.

    Sen. Richard Saslaw, D-Fairfax, did not return calls seeking comment Thursday.

    The senator's elevator comment on Monday has been buzzing through conservative Web sites since Wednesday, when Pierce said he sent out an e-mail alert and a news release.

    Thursday morning, Pierce was on a Richmond radio show to discuss the incident.

    Trey Yeatts, executive producer of Richmond's Morning News with Jimmy Barrett, said he wanted to ask Saslaw about the incident, but Saslaw hadn't returned his calls.

    "From the listeners that we've heard from, it seems that most people are, I guess you'd say, incensed," Yeatts said, "by a lack of apparent respect for [gun-rights supporters], not just in his district but within the entire commonwealth."

    According to Washingtonpost.com, Saslaw responded to questions with the remark, "How do they know I was referring to them and not the other side? ... Some of those people must have one hell of an inferiority complex."

    Late Thursday, the Republican Party of Virginia issued a news release asking Saslaw to explain who exactly he was insulting.

    "When a member of the Virginia General Assembly makes a comment like that, I thought that it would be appropriate for him to explain himself," spokesman Josh Noland said in an interview.

    "Is he meaning the supporters of these stricter [gun] laws are like the cast of "?Deliverance' or the people that want to protect gun rights are like the cast of "?Deliverance,' and what did he mean by that?"

    Pierce, a software developer who lives on a farm outside Bristol, said he'd like to see an apology ? and as of Thursday afternoon he said 1,896 voters had written to their legislators asking for the same.

    He'd also like to see Saslaw held accountable by his own party for the comment.

    "I believe that Sen. Saslaw and many of those who oppose gun ownership truly believe that those who believe in the right to keep and bear arms, those who hunt, those who come from a rural background, are somehow less deserving of respect than the elite urbanites that they consider themselves and their peers to be," Pierce said.

    "I think that the goal is not so much to get Sen. Saslaw to apologize but to get the Democratic leadership, many of whom are very pro-gun and do a lot of great things for rural Virginia, to rein him in and tell him that's not acceptable."
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Talk about putting your foot in your mouth

    ahh [censored], how much stock can you really put into that?
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Talk about putting your foot in your mouth

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biggin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ahh [censored], how much stock can you really put into that? </div></div>

    Into what, the word of John Pierce?

    I've known John for several years, he is as trustworthy and honest as they come.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Talk about putting your foot in your mouth

    i mean its one mans word against another, two diff. sides of a controversial issue, i dunno, does it not seem even a lil funny to anyone else?
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Talk about putting your foot in your mouth

    Heck, the Senator admits he said it with his statement :

    "How do they know I was referring to them and not the other side? ... Some of those people must have one hell of an inferiority complex."

    I don't really find it funny at all. He acts like a smartass trying to say he could have been calling the anti-gun group the "Deliverance Cast". I am sure he isn't calling himself that.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  6. #6
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Talk about putting your foot in your mouth

    I, myself, think this is hilarious...lol
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Talk about putting your foot in your mouth

    I could come close to seeing humor in it if he was honest about it and say he was joking or something, but heck, he's a prick so it doesnt seem funny to me, more mean spirited than anything.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  8. #8
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Talk about putting your foot in your mouth

    It's just sticks and stones..
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  9. #9
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Talk about putting your foot in your mouth

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotSoSilentBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biggin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ahh [censored], how much stock can you really put into that? </div></div>

    Into what, the word of John Pierce?

    I've known John for several years, he is as trustworthy and honest as they come. </div></div>
    [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]hahaha, okay- he gets my vote.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Talk about putting your foot in your mouth

    Feel free to contact John concering his credibility.

    http://www.opencarry.org
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •